Not a while ago I’ve talked about the Key Benefits of Using Photos to Promote your Business and Blog, and today I’d like to focus on blogs mainly, and why you should think about the custom styled stock images and start using those!
As I’ve said before – the photography is a huge part of your brand, and indeed – one of the best ways to pass the right message about your business. Yes, words matter also, but visual is the thing that catches everyone’s eye at first, and when it comes to blogs, let’s be honest – many of us follow some blogs particularly because of their photos. These days styled stock images are becoming real popular, and I must admit – I’ve also was into that game and still I am since I’ve noticed the importance of it. But what many of us are forgetting is that not all of those general stock images that everyone’s getting will actually work for everyone. They are great, indeed! And I am selling some of those also! But when it comes to blog’s branding – you can’t bring the original look by using someone else’s photos which as well are used by others! Plus, it’s ain’t a fact that these photos will match your blog/brand. So here are the reasons why you need custom styled images for your blog:
• It’s unique, original, it’s you and only you. I’m not saying that royal free and all the general stock images are bad. They aren’t. And some of them really can represent you or your blog well also. What I mean is – who doesn’t like to be unique and original? Would you like to come across a blog and notice that it has used the same images as yours? Of course, there’s no drama…Buuut. It’s not only you after all.. Juuust saying!
• It’s more professional. Alright, let’s put it this way: imagine H&M using Chanel’s images, or opposite. How bad and unprofessional is that? Well, maybe using the same image as other 100 bloggers are using isn’t that bad, but neither professional. It’s just another duplicate, and no matter what filter you will put on that image, or however you will crop or rotate it… I know that not all of us can invest in the custom photo, but I’d always say: as long as you have a decent phone, with a great enough camera (otherwise what are you posting on your instagram?!) – USE IT for your blog also! You don’t need the professional DSLR or whatever. There are many great apps out there which can be real handy when it comes to photo retouching + Lightroom can always be a great idea!
• They are outstanding. By this I mean that I can straight away recall a particular blogger and blog when I stumble across their image on social media, as they are unique, custom and they’ve got that particular style which also can be a signature. So that makes them outstand in the middle of other hundred photos, which basically are more or less the same!
By no ends I don’t mean that now you have to put all your savings into custom styled photos, but you should consider about getting at least few of those, and start from there! I think that for the beginning at least 5 different photos can be enough! Tho make sure they’ve got the particular things, colors, symbols, products or anything that represents you and your blog. It can be a laptop with your blog’s home page in there, your favorite notebook, any kind of stationary, your desk, or even your pet! :)
Also, you should consider the lightning and filters used for the photo retouch, as the whole vibe has to match your blog and branding. Before hiring someone to take photos, or doing it yourself – make a list of what kind of photos exactly you might need, and which you will need the most! Here’s the basic list, tho feel free and add something to that:
• Stationary. They should consist things like laptop, notebooks, phone, pen, etc. These photos can be used as your blog images for home, about, FAQ, contact pages.
• Personal. Couple of professional profile pictures of you that you might add to your about page, sidebar image, media kit, social media outlets, e-courses, e-books, LinkedIn, CV, etc.
• Personal + blog. Few pictures of you in your working/blogging mode, with some stationary things like notebooks and laptop. These images have to be friendly, inviting, and representing you as a blogger.
• Lifestyle / Neutral. Some images that you will be able to use for your social media, covers, lifestyle blog posts, etc. In these images you can show your daily life, some behind the scenes, your messy work desk, some food, or your pet.
• Theme photos. These have to be all about the topics that you cover in your blog posts. You will definitely be using them in a future, and I highly recommend having as much as possible of those! And make sure they fit for the social media promotions, especially Pinterest! And speaking about that – do more vertical, and less horizontal!
To sum it all up: make sure those images can be cropped or rotated in a future, and used many times! Think further :) Basically from one good image you can make at least 2 or 3 more, keep that in mind! And sure thing I will be sharing some tutorials, and showing on how to crop-rotate-retouch-redo the same image and take the most out of it! While now, I’m giving you one of those, and you will receice that as soon as you’ll put your name on a mailing list as there you will get the access to our FREE resource library! P.S. let me know if you have any other particular questions or struggles when it comes to photography for your blog? I’d like to help you more wiht that! :) Tho if you’re in need of something custom styled and photographed for your brand or blog – check out my website, portfolio, and get in touch! Tho I also offer some stock image collections, and you can purchase those over here!